Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Joys of this Past Week


By Ken Parks, March 21, 2013

This past few days has been a wonderful time.

This blog has been getting a lot of reviews.  Last week on the 13th, this blog had 27 page views.  Yesterday, it had 14 page reviews.  Many of them originating from Google searches.

On March 16, there was the famous St. Patrick's Day Parade in Atlanta.  Even State Police cars from New Jersey and Connecticut participated in the parade.  My meetup group, ATLsalt Photography, had several members take pre-parade shots and enjoy the festivities.

My IRS return was very favorable this year... I have some plans on investing it. 

A lot of people on my FaceBook (FB) page are commenting on some of the great photography of late, such as Zoo Atlanta, my copying of the 1973 Yearbook, and the parade.

Also, I enjoy avian photography.  My new hobby in combination with my profession of photography, is a bird feeder in the back yard, only a few feet away from my living room window.  The feeder was installed on a low branch and already visitors have been welcomed to feast on the seeds.  A cardinal had a great time and filled his tummy with joy.  This morning there were finches and robins taking in their fill. 

I have an upcoming avian shoot this weekend, and I hope to provide some instruction on photographing birds to my fellow photographer friends.  Last year at the same location, I managed to get some early morning shots of Canadian Geese and a Red-tailed Hawk.  The organizer commented on the Hawk shot, "You've got the photo of the day!"

About two weeks from now, I'll be attending the Bryan Peterson photography workshop in Savannah/Jekyll Island.  I'll be like a sponge, absorbing as much information from this world renown commercial photographer.  I have learned from the likes of Doug Gordon, Rick Ferro, and David Ziser, the last two are on my FB friends list.

All three teach, instruct, and provide seminars on wedding photography.   David told me a few years ago, "Get the Sigma 8-16mm rectangular fish-eye lens.  It'll be a great way to change your perspective and give you that WOW shot you're looking for."  It was a good investment as I now use the secondary camera with the fish-eye and the primary with the 70-200mm. 

































This is one of my favorite avian shoots, three Canadian Geese flying in formation during the  morning sunrise at the Decatur cemetery.

3 comments:

  1. The Canadian Geese: This is one of those lucky shots. Having shot a lot of sports, anticipation is necessary for the capture. A little magic with Photoshop and NIK software adds to the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're almost 3 complete months into 2013, and I am meeting some of this year's goals, such as ridding of an old diseased wart (some know the hidden meaning of this), taking a Bryan Peterson photo workshop, learning new photography techniques and post-processing tricks, and resolving to have one of the best years ever. Things are under control.

    ReplyDelete