Friday, March 22, 2013

Suggestions?


By Ken "Max" Parks, March 22, 2013

When I played tennis in Florida, I sought advice from former tennis players of yesteryear, champions in their sport.  I was looking for sound instruction.  I was looking for suggestions in improving my game.  Little did I know that the advice received was more than tennis, but life itself.

Bill Tildon has been considered to be the best tennis player of all time.  He was rated the world's best, or number one, for seven years straight and won ten grand slams.  Who better to get advice.

"Never change a winning game; always change a losing one," was the best advice I had heard.

This applies to  every aspect of your life, whether it be related to your profession, your marriage, or other interests and hobbies.

Over the years, I have had people give me advice without me asking.  They think that giving me advice, acknowledging it, and attempting to adhere to their words of wisdom would be to their benefit. 

However, I have learned to consider the source of the advice.  Is this person a winner at what he or she does?  Does this person simply want to follow the status quo and have you act upon a demure and boring life?  Does this worldly person try to convince you that you cannot succeed without their words of wisdom? 

I've come across those who demean and try to tear down your goals.  One of my many bosses at Wang Labs told me, "You are NOT a programmer!"  I went on to develop a Finance and Insurance software application for the automobile dealerships and leasing companies.  And I grossed over a quarter of a million dollars in the first year of operation.  The same boss, was fired from his job because of so many employees were fed up with his mismanagement and poor treatment of others.  Several employees, along with myself had quit.  Some had transferred, and the naive tolerated his antics. I considered the source; he was a loser.

As a professional photographer, I have received many accolades from my peers and associates, especially from friends on Facebook concerning my artistic talent.  And, I greatly appreciate their warm and lovely assertions.  I have won awards for my photographic art, and I have adventured in new aspects of photography.   So far, so good.


Recently I have been approached without any intervention on my behalf and suggested that I change my photographic business.  The first suggestion was not to "ride on the coattails" of my former mentors, such as my Dad.  Secondly, I was advised not to offer services that I cannot "honestly" provide.  Thirdly, I was told, "get a constructive hobby."

My Dad was only one of my photographic mentors.  He had taught me about the technical aspects of photographic equipment, darkroom procedures, and various details of German made cameras.  I have learned a vast amount of photographic knowledge from other mentors, such as David Ziser, Doug Gordon, and  Rick Ferro, especially in concern of the artistic aspects of photography, more so than what my Dad had taught.  

If my Dad were alive today, I think he would be amazed in my photographic talents and be very proud in what I've accomplished.  He would probably need some convincing that the Japanese have advanced in the technologies of cameras and lenses to meet or exceed the quality of German cameras and lenses.

My services include but are not limited to wedding photography, portraits, modeling, and events.  One can review my wedding photography portfolio and easily determine that there is a hint (sarcasm) of talent.  The same can be said of my other photographic services.

Some people may think that my professional photography business is simply an old hobby.  One person had introduced me to her friends, "This is Ken, and his hobby is photography."  I was ready for this.  I reached into my wallet and showed a copy of a wedding couple's check for $1,800 and quipped, "Yep, this hobby pays quite well."  From that point on, my professional photographic business was never referred to as a "hobby."

As to being constructive; I take the same view as my photographer peers and associates.  Like me, they strive for the highest form of photographic art and aim their cameras in the quest for the "WOW factor."

I have considered the source of the triad of ill-advice. I'm much more inclined to go with the advice of a winner, "Never change a winning game; always change a losing one."

So far, so good...

12 comments:

  1. Some people might think that I'm obsessed with photography. It's all in the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a certainty to ensure that the winning game is maintained. If someone interferes, by any means, then it is proper to react in a positive manner, to protect one's interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad had a complete disdain for Japanese photographic equipment. His liking was for the German made and the Hasselblad 500 C/M. Since 1975, the Japanese have produced some top-notch cameras and lenses, especially from Olympus. I basically retired the Voigtlander system in favor of the OM-2 and assorted lenses while in college as the photographic editor of the yearbook. In the digital age, the Japanese have advanced in technology well beyond the Germans. If he were alive today, he might concede to the changes of photographic technologies and the digital cameras of the Japanese.

    Ironically, I have a Hasselblad 500 C/M with the researched serial number showing that the camera was produced in 1972, the same year my Dad passed away. The F-troop and I shoot film on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Karma certainly works in the positive for those who do good and for those who are destructive, the negative.

      Delete
  5. One of many of my FB friends responded to my FB posting about "Suggestions?", "Keep shooting. Love your work. No other "suggestions."

    I can easily follow that advice, as he is a member of the F-Troop and a fantastic photographer.

    Over the years and through my biblical studies, I have learned to maintain association with those who provide good advice and stay away from those who have proven to be destructive.

    "Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them." --- Ephesians 5:11 (NIV)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing the law: I have spent countless hours studying family law, libel law, and case law, including traffic court tactics. I have represented myself (pro se) in custody actions, fraudulent bankruptcies, child support actions, and speeding tickets. For the most part, I usually won and have saved an enormous amount in attorney fees. The defendants know and are afraid that I have a vast knowledge. Because they have tried with desperation to convince me otherwise, they have deceived themselves. Ignoring and nor filing legal answers put the monkey on their backs, and there are consequences.

    This particular action of Defamation, Libel, libel Per Se, and Cyberstalking had taken me nearly 4 weeks to research case law and prepare the filing. I had a lawyer friend look it over and I was told not to change a word.

    ReplyDelete